Quote of the Day!

Welcome to

Jaywalker.ca

arts magazine.
Submit!

You'll be virtually a-mused, Kingston!!

ISSN 1708-5845 Online     Magazine  Art In Kingston   About Kingston   Press Releases   HELP!!     ISSN 1708-5837 Print

About Us

Adversity & the Artist

Anecdotes

Artist Links

But Is It Art...?

But Is It Music...?

Collectible Bookmarks

Current Issue

Crosswords

Distributors

Essays

Front & Centre

Heart Shaped Box

Hors D'Scopes

Inspiring Places

Jam Makers

Mastheads

Past Issues

Picture of the Day

Save A Jaywalker!

Short Stories

Wordsmith's Intersection

 

Baby Squirrel Videos

Wild Kitten Movies

 

Google

WWW Jay

 

Jaywalker free magazine of the arts was published monthly in Kingston, Ontario, Canada and is still available online at all times right here! We hope to get some version of it going again. For now, it is an archival site only.

 

Check out our old publisher's new blog, The Metaphor Observatory, with plenty of examples of contemporary metaphor in the media.

 

Bookmark us today!

 

 

Short Story

Meeting Relativity

By Joe Grand

Introduction

        On the last Saturday in January, there appeared a small notice under ‘Psychic Consultation’ in the local newspaper. It read as follows: Meet Relativity, ten dollars, five minutes 555-2136. I found myself dialing the number for two reasons: firstly, I knew the 555 exchange was used on television because no such exchange existed; and secondly, I was wondering what it was all about.

     “Hello!” said an unexpected male voice.

     “Hi” I stumbled, “I’m...uh...calling about the notice in the paper. I was wondering...”

     He cut me off in mid-sentence: “Do you wish to meet Relativity?”.

     “Your 555 exchange…” I countered, “where are you located?”

     “Where are you calling from?” asked the disembodied voice.

     “Kingston” I replied. “That’s where we are. Come to the side door at 342 Cataraqui Street at 10 am. Be sure to bring ten dollars.” The line went dead. I tried the 555 exchange again and this time got an automated voice saying I had to dial ‘1’ followed by the area code.

     “Well” I thought, “that’s odd...”

     The thought of going over to Cataraqui Street kind of gnawed at me, and in a monumental exhibition of energy not usually displayed on a Saturday, I soon found myself standing in front of a white clapboard Victorian house with gingerbread trim running along the roof line. A narrow path led around the side and ended at a solid panel door. Beside the door a hand written note was posted. It read “ring the door bell”. I put my finger to the doorbell but didn’t press it right away.

     After about five seconds of indecision I felt the button depress. I waited. A muffled voice from the other side of the closed door sounded, “Did you bring ten dollars?” It was the same voice I heard on the phone. And as soon as I replied in the affirmative the knob began to turn. Then the door opened and an older man with a bushy moustache appeared. He gave me a long critical look.

      “Are you sure you’ve come to right place?”, he asked with a hint of distrust; “I only ask because of your clothing.”

     I was taken aback. I was wearing expensive shoes and one of the equally expensive light weight jackets you can only get in specialty outdoor stores frequented by rock climbers and kayakers. He, on the other hand, was in a rumpled sweater and a tired old pair of unpolished oxfords. His stern countenance kind of rattled me. “This is 342 Cataraqui Street, isn’t it?” I asked, knowing full well all the time it was.

     He looked evenly at me, “You’ve come to see Relativity but I am not so sure he will be pleased to see you.”

Continued on Page 2...

 

 

Back to May 2004 Jaywalker

 

Free Movies!

Free Music!

Free Podcasts!

 

  Copyright Info   Contact   Privacy Policy   Link to Jaywalker   Bookmark Us!   Advertising   Comments